Brief History of Harlandale Lodge
During the summer of 1923, several Brothers began the task of
preparing the necessary documents to establish the Harlandale Masonic Lodge.
By December, the group of Brothers had selected the recommended officers of
the Lodge and agreed the name would be Harlandale Lodge. This was finalized
at a get together in December of 1923.
The Letter dated April 2, 1924, submitted to the District Deputy Grand Master,
Right Worshipful Lonnie Irvin, "A prayer of Dispensation for a new Masonic
Blue Lodge empowering us to meet at Harlandale, Texas, on the first and third
Tuesday of each month." The letter from the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge
of Texas dated April 4, 1924, granted dispensation to form a new Lodge at Harlandale.
The entire upper floor of a building located at 5110 Corpus Christi Road (South
Flores) was leased for 2 years beginning the 10th of May 1924 and ending the
9th of May 1926. The lease included permission to remove several partitions.
Harlandale Lodge U.D. was set to labor on June 3, 1924, by Right Worshipful
Lonnie Irvin, District Deputy Grand Master of Masonic District 39. Brother Irvin
called the Lodge to order and duly assigned the recommended officers.
On June 10, 1924, the Lodge received a letter from Grand Lodge advising that
dues for the members were owed for the year.
On June 21, 1924, the Lodge was granted permission to appear in public, as Masons
on June 27, 1924, for the purpose of attending the ceremonies of dedication
of the Scottish Rite Temple.
The Charter for Harlandale Lodge No. 1213 is dated on the 5th day of December
A.D. 1924, A.L. 5924.
On June 4, 1926, a representation of the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Texas
was opened at 5:00 P.M. for the purpose of leveling the cornerstone for the
current Lodge building at 6031 South Flores. The ceremony was conducted by R.W.
M.A. Childers, Deputy Grand Master of the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Texas.
Over twenty Lodges were represented in the petition to form the Lodge. The 24
affiliated Masons that established our Lodge increased to a membership of 1,190
in 1962. The membership as of June 23, 2004, was 355.
Over the years we have received 2,542 petitions. There have been 358 affiliations
from Lodges over the world. We have raised 1,670 members to the degree of Master
One of our Past Masters was elected as Deputy Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Texas in December 09. We are proud to have had two members of the Committee On Work, one Grand Marshal, one Grand Junior Steward,
one Grand Pursuivant, ten District Deputy Grand Masters, one District Education
Officer, and one District Masonic Relations Officer. We have four members of
Harlandale who have served as District Deputy Grand Masters of other Masonic
Districts. (See listing.)There are 74 endowed members and 64 members with 50 or more years
of service to our fraternity. We have 13 Life Members and six members who are
Past Masters of other Lodges, both Texas and one other Grand Jurisdiction.
The title "THE GREAT LODGE OF HARLANDALE," as we have been referred
to in correspondence by some Grand Jurisdictions, has been well-earned, and
it is with a great deal of pride we cherish the honor.